Friday, August 11, 2006

8.11.06, In Search of a Metaphor

Reading: I am searching. Digging around, scratching the surface, poking around in corners, turning the container inside out, shake shake, in search of a metaphor. No, it's more than a metaphor. It's a whole allegory that I need: an extended metaphor. How can I possibly express certain experiences, certain events, I will have to say multiplicities, and do so adequatly and yet with the requisite amount of sensitivity? The only way is with a large, sophisticated metaphor. Where is it? I need it here now. (OK, just sophisticated, large is not necessary, isn't that what they say?)

Reading methodology: Speaking in tongues is about just that, I suppose. One reference from the bible will inspire another reference, they will face each other in a dialectic and work out the meaning. So here's the other one: let those who have eyes to see see, let those who have ears to hear hear. I need that allegory.

Today's gone nicely physically, with Frank and I wandering about SLC doing many errands, some stops for a bite to eat, turkey sloppy joe's at the Roasting Co., or a short visit with more family, and the Franky Scale I'd put at 7. Gorgeous weather, low 90s and not a stitch of humidity. (yes, mixed.) Mountains encircling you, granted they're midgetous compared with Rainier, but still, they do form a large circle. All basically good and I feel well, then I also know that after a whole day of being out and about I do need to rest. It's counterintuitive, it feels unnatural—I'm "otherwise healthy" remember? What ever happened to the otherwise healthy me?! Why do I need to take nap, what about a visit would require any energy, and so on, these are the kind of questions that compose that unnaturalness. My reserves are down though. Not to complain but to point out how strange it seems and how it's not always easy to remember until it's too late and my reserves are all gone. It's tricky, today too, tricky, feels like I'm on the line between just about right and way too . . .

Reading: . . . god, do I need that allegory, it'll start with a small metaphor, a bit, a scrap, just a tiny piece that falls from someone elses's expression, then grow. (I'll try to think. Think think think, a little rest and think.)

PS. too to SLC'rs: it's hectic and too nutty for me to be able to contact each of you individually but there might be a BBQ kind of thing on the weekend, maybe drop a line / email and let's meet up...?

No comments: